Curatorial & Collections Assistant- Art Gallery
|Open Date||Aug 30 2021 - 09:10:00 AM||Close Date||Sep 20 2021 - 04:00:00 PM|
|Position Title||Curatorial & Collections Assistant- Art Gallery||Posting Type||Temporary|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Part Time|
|Department Group||Culture||Hours per Week||35|
THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF WOODSTOCK
The City of Woodstock is a dynamic and growing community of 41,000 located in the heart of southwestern Ontario at the crossroads of highways 401 and 403. The City’s progressive actions have made it a leader in the region for conservation, environmental initiatives and long-term commitment to managed growth. Woodstock has roots in both agriculture and manufacturing; as the recognized Dairy Capital of Canada and as home to Toyota’s second Canadian manufacturing facility. With a skilled workforce, affordable housing and a community hospital, Woodstock truly is a growing city with a lot of rural, small town charm.
“Curatorial & Collections Assistant - Art Gallery”
To be considered for this position, applicants must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- post-secondary undergraduate level pursuing a degree in Art History or Studio Art
- Demonstrated strengths in research and writing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity and experience using database programs, and knowledge of database management would be an asset
- Experience handling art, and knowledge of Canadian art would be beneficial
- Prior experience working or volunteering in a public gallery, museum or library
- Priority will be given to candidates who wish to pursue further academic or curatorial work, in addition to work in museums or galleries.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision
- Work closely with the Head of Collections
- Assist with curatorial exhibition and collections management, along with other functions and priorities within an innovative municipal gallery
- Develop mini-exhibitions from the permanent collection for the collection gallery space;
- Draft information panels for exhibitions;
- Assist with correspondence with exhibiting artists;
- Assist with installation and signage production;
- Audit, inventory, document and catalogue and photograph works of art in the permanent collection;
- Contact artists and art dealers for material, conduct secondary source research on site and at libraries and galleries in the area;
- Update collection files and support material;
- Update the collections management database with research conduct;
- Perform other related duties as directed by the Director/Curator, or designate.
Salary rate is $16.00 per hour as per Schedule "A" of the collective agreement. This is a 25-week contract from Oct 12 to March 31, 2021. Scheduled 3 to 7 hour work shifts which will include weekends (Saturdays) and alternate shift hours. May be required to work overtime.
Resumes and cover letters will be received online at http://careers.cityofwoodstock.ca no later than 4:00 p.m. Monday September 20, 2021.
This position is funded by Young Canada Works (YCW). Please ensure you are eligible to apply by checking https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/. You must be currently enrolled and returning to school in September 2021. Priority will be given to students that have not previously participated in YCW programs.
The City of Woodstock and the Woodstock Art Gallery is an equal opportunity employers. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. The Woodstock Art Gallery is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
We thank all candidates who apply, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact: Mary Reid, Director/Curator, Woodstock Art Gallery, P.O. Box 1539, Woodstock, Ontario, N4S 0A7, 519-539-6761 x 2800; email@example.com.